Viral marketing is a comparatively newer concept in internet marketing. The term viral is synonymous to spreading, but only in a good way. Viral marketing follows the principle of crazy spreading of virus and spreads words in similar fashion about the company, product or service. This is also known as âbuzz marketingâ, and spreads through the advertising method specially known as âword of mouthâ marketing. The concept is similar to the quick spreading of rumour or forest fire on its own after initiation. Viral marketing efficiently entice the clients to rapidly pass on the marketing message to a larger population at a relatively lower cost.
Different types of viral marketing and social media:
To be more specific, viral marketing means internet word-of-mouth advertising. This has amazing power to spread quickly among millions of consumers. Viral marketing exists in numerous forms, like videos, e-books, articles, blogs, reports, software, interactive flash games, text messages, white papers and even tweets. Social media has made the word-of-moth advertising or viral marketing more potent and persuasive. It plays a very crucial role in extensive viral marketing. A study revealed that members of social media networks enthusiastically promote one or more company and recommend their friends to buy a product they follow. It has been found that among the Tweet users, who follow at least one company, 59 percent are supposed to recommend a company they follow and 58 percent have highest chance of buying a product they follow.
Successful implementation of viral marketing strategy:
If the strategic planning is correct, viral marketing can be successfully done with minimum effort. The content must be a stand out in the crowd of millions of similar stories in the internet and should have some sort of anticipated value, if not in monetary terms. For example, contents those have educational, entertainment or emotional value earn a huge popularity among the audience. Following are some useful techniques that could be included in the overall strategy for successful viral marketing:
- Videos: Nothing can be more effective than an appropriate audiovisual campaign. YouTube and other video sharing sites have changed the concept of capturing the viewers. Many successful marketing advertisements have been launched on these sites.
- Social media: Today, it is hard to imagine any business without social media marketing. New generation spend much of their time in social media sites and it is easy to win their attention for a particular brand and its product or services.
- Article marketing: Well-written articles with meaningful contents and helpful information have all the possibility to go viral, and thus spreading word about a business and its products or services.
- Sharing widgets: This is an effective way of easy sharing and bookmarking any website through popular social media networks.
- E-books: This has long been used as the most common method to reach larger audience. If an e-book contains interesting reading material that has great educational or entertainment value, the readers will enthusiastically pass it to others.
- Newsletter: This has excellent viral potential since it is able to keep the name brand in front of the business subscribers. It is also easy to generate a newsletter in minimum time for lesser price.
Viral marketing is an effective technique for enhancing the visibility and growth of a business. However, one has to plan the strategies carefully depending on the nature of target audience, goals of marketing and overall availability of resources. Proper utilisation of the opportunity to use the customers as the potential patrons of viral marketing might create the difference between complete failure and huge success for an online business.
Kevin Maddox is a marketing-researcher and has written several e-books on social media marketing strategy. He has adopted the strategy of viral marketing for the effective promotion of his books.
This blog is listed under Digital Media & Games Community