on 02 December 16
Microsoft launched Office 2010 suite in June 2010. Though, Office 2007 was a far more advanced and functional than Office 2003, but Office 2010 has completely changed the picture the way MS Office suite worked.
Features of Office 2010
The desktop programs in Office 2010 differ completely from Office 2007 and earlier versions in terms of features. The Office 2010 was built by Microsoft keeping in mind the interface of Windows 7 Operating System, which was incorporated with tabs, ribbon, launcher button, groups, office buttons and more in place of older toolbars and menus. And similarly, these features were incorporated in the Office 2010 suiteâs desktop programs which presented a completely new look to the Office suite user base. Office 2010 includes features which grabbed the eyeballs of the user community in a flash.
Install Office 2010 today to get started with all these appended new features and functionalities:
At first look, the basic functionality and working structure is bit like Office 2007. But with few tweaks and changes, Microsoft has really altered its look. It also comes with few more additional functions than Office 2007.
- Each and every desktop program in Office 2010 has slicers, spark lines which gives the inbuilt options a defined look.
- Each program in Office 2010 is now incorporated with ribbons, tabs and groups, which was not completely there in 2007, and has done away with the old toolbars and menus.
- The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) has been upgraded, as it gives user a customizable interface for more control.
- The file option has been brought back, and it replaces the Office button.
- Ribbon feature is also more advanced and gives users a free hand to customize it to their need.
- The documents are now easy to share, examine and encrypt.
- The navigation functionality has been of a great help, and it allows switching from one document to another with ease. The find and replace option has been done away and instead the navigation pane has been given that duty, as users can simply search for the related text in the search option of the navigation pane, and it displays results from multiple documents.
- Users can now save their file in the .pdf format, which has really become a necessity nowadays.
- The pushpin format has also been improved with a revised functionality.
- A user can also save their file in word formats which are now compatible with the older MS Office file formats.
- Windows 7 came with a snipping tool that captures the screen images from the opened document or desktop. MS Office 2010 has incorporated this functionality in to their desktop program suites, where a screenshot tool is provided in the Office 2010 programs.
- The macro feature was great integration in the 2007 version, but it was not so much beneficial and produces many problems time and again. But with 2010, users will see a whole new and error free macro feature.
- The protected View feature has been added in the Office 2010, keeping in mid the more and more use of Internet by people. For opening up downloaded files in the MS Office 2010, the Protected Mode feature offers a secure sandbox option, by which the Office 2010 options files with risk in a separate sandbox environment to avoid the danger of any kind of infection
- Office 2010 also gives users the freedom to synchronize their Office documents with the SkyDrive and Windows Live Mail.
How to Install Office 2010
The Office 2010 suite comes with a user manual that guides a user about steps to install Office 2010 on their systems:
- At first, check whether system meets the minimum requirements for installation of Office 2010 suite, which are:
- Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and 2008, Windows 7, and Widows 8 Operating system
- 256 MB of RAM
- A minimum of 3.5 GB free disk space on the drive containing OS
- A processor of 500 MHz or bigger
- Insert the CD/DVD containing the Office 2010 suite. It will start installation process automatically, but if it does not, then start it by going to the Disk Drive through My Computer. Double click on the drive and then setup.exe to execute the start of installation.
- A window will open which will require the 25-letter key for activation. It will be present on the CD/DVD box and after inserting the key, click on continue.
- Click on the âI accept terms of agreementâ and then on continue.
- The next window presents two options: âInstall Nowâ and âCustomizeâ. If you want to select only a few limited desktop applications, choose âCustomizeâ. This option can also be used if one wishes to install this in different drive. And for a regular and full Office 2010 installation, select âInstall Nowâ option.
- It will now process the installation which may take 30-40 minutes depending on the systemâs configuration and storage.
- After that, click on Close and start exploring Office 2010.
This blog is listed under Enterprise Applications Community