Now that you have built your online reputation, you need to be able to manage it. This is something that firms will be able to do for you but if you are just starting out, you may not have the funds for that. It means that you will need to adopt proven and effective ways of online reputation protection. Here are five tips to help you along your way.
1. Recreate Your Customersâ Experiences: The best way to know how customers view you is to recreate their experience in finding you. Think about how your customers search for you â you could find out more through a marketing survey to find out where they have come from â and not how you want them to find you. This will involve Google and other web searches, social media and experimenting with the different browsers available. Youâll get the chance to see how your brand is viewed â and whether it has a reputation at all! â and what could discourage people from clicking on your website or buying through you.
2. Experiment with Local SEO: How do people view you when they do a local search? Could they find you at all? It is worth doing some experiments with local SEO to improve this. If your reputation is currently good, a few experiments are not going to do too much damage but only do a little bit at a time. Experiment by changing your location settings on your website or your social media page and create a Google page for your location.
3. Add More Digital Profiles: The best thing to do is blow the competition out of the water by owning that front page. You can do this by creating many digital profiles that rank for the keyword phrases that you want. There are many different ways to do this but you will need to make sure that your content says something different on each page to stop people from getting bored! Try out LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, a Google profile, Facebook fan pages and even your own blog. Make sure that all your profiles remain updated and have fresh content on a regular basis â it is easy to let them slip and damage your online reputation.
4. Listen to Everything Your Customers Tell You: Your customers will tell you when there is something wrong so listen to them! You may not agree with their suggestions or thoughts but that doesnât mean they donât have valid points. This can also tell you if they want something new from you â or want to see you do something slightly different. If you donât listen to them and keep thinking youâre right, you will soon see that they disappear and tell their friends to try somewhere else. You can show that you listen through social media by answering in public. Remember to thank them too for their custom to build a relationship with them.
5. Regularly Review Your Website Objectively: This can often be the hardest part for many people. You need to look at the website as if you were a customer and make sure it tells you everything that a customer would need to know. This isnât about what you want it to say but what it needs to say â there is often a big difference. You also need to make sure that the content is unique for your business, includes the keyword phrases perfectly and show that there is a person behind the computer. If you are a team, make sure it states that but if you work on your own, donât pretend that you are a team to make you look bigger.
Managing your online reputation takes time and is often something that people hire others for. This will depend on your business size. If you want to do it yourself, you may want to add a member of your team to focus on this task and follow the above five tips.
This guest post was written by Kevin Edward, a business owner. He has worked with many firms to help with SEO and reputation management and is now using reputation protection to help maintain her hard work.
This blog is listed under Digital Media & Games Community