Cloud based storage is a terminology which is in use by the industry in perspective for managing data over an internet based network service. Various types of cloud storage systems have been developed which supports both personal and business needs.
Cloud Based Storage-Personal File Hosting
Cloud based storage facilitates in terms of personal file hosting by allowing the users to upload individual files or folders from their local computers on a central internet server. By upload the files over the secure cloud based storage, the users have created their backup copies of files; cloud based storage facilitates the users to easily access their uploaded files to work and download them over the other devices. Moreover, this enables remote access over the uploaded files for other people to share and work in collaboration.
Various service providers offer online file hosting services. File transfers work over the standard Internet protocols such as HTTP and FTP.
- Cloud based storage provider services vary in:
- Network bandwidth and storage limit
- Network transfer speed supported
- Price (some of them are free, ad-based, while others are vary with data usage)
- Software interface (some are browser-based while some utilize dedicated application of clients)
These services work as a substitute to home network storage such as Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices or archived emails.
Cloud Based Storage-Enterprise Level Storage
At enterprise level, cloud based storage is utilized as a commercial support for backup along with a remote access solution. At regular interval, the software agents in the company can securely transfer the files and database data to third-party over the network. Enterprise data needs to grow quickly and create backup for the obsolete data keeping a check to retention policies that reward outdated data.
Larger companies have also start their work practices over cloud based storage for data replication on large amounts between the branch offices. Employees working at one site can create new files and have them shared with the colleagues working at the other end. Enterprise cloud based storage systems includes configuring policies for caching data efficiently across sites (either locally or in the other country).
How to select Cloud Based Storage Provider
While using a cloud storage system brings advantages, it also has downsides and involves risk. Selecting the right provider for your given situation is critical. Consider the following:
- Cost Effective. Vendors charge the amount for offering more advanced services. Service plans are usually separated into tiers according to requirement. If you are exceeding the specified quotas, penalty fees would be charged. Carefully consider your cloud based storage needs before availing any subscription: Make sure to buy enough capability and capacity to have an effective support to your organization, and avoid having long-term contracts because this might cause serious issues in future when youâre organizational needs grow.
- Usability and Accessibility. Cloud based storage systems working along with remote data is almost as easy as data available on your local hard drives. Test out the browser and separate application screens; and the network latency response provided by a vendor. This can protect you from looking for major time-wasting, usability limitations that might weaken your productivity in future.
- Reputed and Reliable. Make sure to check the reliability and reputation of the vendorâs service. Even sometimes a free cloud based storage service can be risky in the case if it suffers from the incidents like data corruption or data loss, frequent down times, or had past security issue. Research about the cloud based storage service providers you are interested in for their reputation and brand class before making commitment. Consider to use a trial subscription provided by the vendor before a long-term investment commitment with them and during the trial period, do not upload any sensitive data onto a service.
The article is written is Gloria on behalf of CloudStorageBest.com
This review is listed under Cloud Computing Community