That course will introduce you to Scilab.
Scilab is a powerful scientific computation Software for Engineers and Scientists.
It is free, open source and very similar to Matlab.
The course is a great video based tutorial for any person that is interested in scientific computation : engineers, scientists or anybody curious about applied mathematics.
The structure of the course is the following :
- Section 1 is an overview of Scilab and how to get it.
A Newton method to solve a non-linear equation is given as an example.
- Section 2 covers basic linear algebra using Scilab.
- Section 3 presents Scilab language structures.
As an example, the Newton method is extended to the two dimensional case.
- Section 4 covers the graphic capabilities of Scilab
An example displays natural images, that are given as additional material.
- Section 5 covers advanced topics.
An example shows how to code the wavelet representation of a signal into a single Scilab structured variable. It is then used for compression purposes.
- Section 6 gives a final project and the conclusion.
This project processes images for compression purpose, using a two dimensional wavelets transform. It is the opportunity to reuse everything learned previously.