One of the biggest technologies to hit the market in the recent past is something known as cloud computing. This technology is closely linked to the Internet and its primary purpose is to help in more effective delivery of IT services.
Many business organizations are turning to the power of cloud computing to realize benefits such as:
- Better workload management,
- More streamlined use of different resources,
- Enjoying aspects such as storage, software, networking and server utilization in a more cost-effective manner,
- Reduction in capital expenditure, operating expenses and complexity of management of the IT landscape,-·
- Minimizing the impact of their operations on the environment at large.
WHAT IS CLOUD COMPUTING?
Even though the concept of cloud computing has been around for quite some time now, it is only in the recent past that it has emerged as a very viable technology. There is work being done even today on coming up with a solid definition of cloud computing.
However, broadly speaking, cloud computing can be defined as an ecosystem that connects various aspects of computing such as storage, platform, applications, infrastructure and so on through the Internet. It also eliminates the need for clients to have such ecosystems on their premises. The connection between the cloud computing ecosystem and the clientâs ecosystem is made through the Internet.
HOW CAN IT BE BETTER UNDERSTOOD?
Cloud computing can be divided broadly into the type of cloud and into the service delivery mode. As far as the type of cloud is concerned, there are 4 types, broadly speaking:
- Public cloud,
- Private Cloud,
- Hybrid Cloud and
- Community Cloud.
Each one of these cloud models have very different architecture and serve very different purposes. Each of these models also differ in things like costs and the degree of flexibility and customization that they offer.
When it comes to the services that cloud computing can deliver, there are plenty and broadly speaking, service can be understood with the terms of:
- Software as a Service or SaaS,
- Platform as a Service or PaaS,
- Infrastructure as a Service or IaaS.
Cloud computing service providers are also working on offering things like storage as a service and even networking as a service. Given the fact that cloud computing is a fairly new technology, the industry is seeing new developments almost every single day.
BENEFITS OF USING THE CLOUD
One of the biggest benefits of using cloud computing applications is the cost savings that a business organization can enjoy. Broadly speaking, the benefits accruing from cloud computing can be detailed as follows:
- Simplifying the management of IT landscape because a business organization can outsource almost all its mission critical applications to a cloud service provider,
- Costs can be saved because storage, servers, software and so on can all be handled by the cloud service provider and this simply means that a business organization has to only pay for what it uses rather than investing in all this infrastructure for itself,
- Accessibility to information and data is possible from anywhere in the world. Because the cloud computing system relies on the Internet, a business organization can also use the same Internet to access data from any machine and anywhere
This blog is listed under Cloud Computing Community