on 18 April 18
According to the AIIM (Association for Information and Image Management), 7.5% of all the documents gets lost, never to be found again. This fact reveals the inefficient management of documents by organizations.
What are the possible drawbacks of paper document management system?
Here is a look at a few of them.
• It’s hard to track the folders and files
• Even if you track it, it requires a considerable time investment
• There is a probability that documents are lost or misplaced
This results in inefficient management. There are other contributing factors as well. Therefore, it is an urgent need to adopt a reliable Document Scanning Service. In fact, d Document Scanning Service were introduced way back in 1980’s. Since then, the basic procedure for handling documents has remained the same. But, there have been considerable changes in technology and management practices. Here, we list the best practices for Document Scanning Service.
Document Scanning Service – Best Practices from the Industry
Documents are available in different formats. For example, doc files and PDF files. The credibility of a document management system is judged on the file formats it can support. Most of the files are saved in the form of images. It becomes important to identify the characters in the image for further processing. There are systems which can identify the text; they are equipped with Optical Character Recognition (OCR).
Moreover, advanced features include recognition of marks with the Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) function. Technology is ever changing and therefore, selecting a document management system with the latest technology and software is the wisest option.
There is an option for assigning the metadata for a particular file. What is metadata?
Metadata is a short description of the file that can be used when searching for the file. A person can search for the keyword related to the file, and the software will retrieve it on the basis of metadata associated with the file. Therefore, metadata tagging should be compatible with all the file formats.
Structuring of Data
A lot of time is wasted in tracking data. According to AIIM, 5-15% time is spent in analyzing the files while 50% is spent searching for the same files. This is always the case with the paper documents. With document management systems, you can keep your files in a structured and well-organized way.
• It all starts with the naming of the documents. Assign a name for the document according to the data contained in it.
• There will be the same files with different data for different clients. Here, folders are required to store the related files at the same place. For example, store the tax return files for various clients in a folder dedicated to Tax Returns.
• At last, we have the cabinets. Cabinets are used to store files and folders for a portfolio. For example, your company manages two portfolios- Investment and Tax. In this way, you can create a hierarchy and store the data in a structured way. Document management system with this feature is highly recommended.
Document Scanning Service (DSS) with accurate storage information are preferred. Unlimited data will consume the majority of the storage space. With a reliable DSS, you can sort the files like the expired ones. Thereby, you can delete the files or manage them accordingly.
Security is of utmost importance in all the departments. The confidential data is always prone to hackers and suspicious persons. The data is at continuous risk when dormant, in transit or in use. Most of the document management systems are well aware of this vulnerability. Therefore, they provide commendable security parameters to keep the documents safe.
Best Security Practices:
• Set up the access grants for the employees of the organization and the designated persons. This way, the confidential data will be secured.
• You can also set the permissions concerning different departments. For example, an associate from the human resource department cannot access the documents of the accounts section. In addition to setting permissions, you can also link access to the files within departments. This is done to simplify the work procedure.
• Threats can be external as well as internal. It is important to monitor your employee activities constantly. Certain document management systems provide this feature where you can track the activities of your employees.
• Documents are always at risk while in use. To prevent any misuse or alteration, strictly avoid circulating original copies. Attest and validate the duplicate copies and distribute them. The original documents will remain secured, and the duplicate copies can be used as they are already validated. Moreover, circulate of documents online in a text format that cannot be edited. You can send the copy in a portable document format (PDF) after setting adequate security levels.
Documents are subjected to different sets of rules and regulations. This is done to prevent any misuse of the documents. The document holder and the organization handling the documents fall under the applicable legalities. Both should abide by the guidelines of the respective authority of the country. In the case of any mishap, the consequences can vary from strict penalties to imprisonments.
When it comes to the Document Management systems, the guidelines are laid down by the organizations like AIIM and Association of Records Managers and Administrators (ARMA). The concerned managers and employees should work in accordance with the guidelines. Otherwise, it may result in stringent punishments.
Document Management System is considerably dependent upon the trust factor. That is why an online document management system works in accordance with defined guidelines by the concerned authority.
The guidelines and policies should be mentioned for both the clients and the employees. The customer reveals confidential documents and sensitive information in the course of business. It is an organization’s responsibility to handle them with utmost security. The customer should be well aware of the guidelines so that in the case of any future dispute, he can take the suitable step.
Similarly, employees must respect the private information of the clients. Any intentional or unintentional misuse of the documents is a breach of trust.
These are the basic practices which will optimize your data management and security. Choosing a suitable DSS and abiding the practices will cut down the time and enhance operations in your organization.
This blog is listed under Development & Implementations Community