Being able to keep track of and find computer files when in need can make a big difference in organizational productivity. To get the right File Management system for the startup, it is important to take some time to find out what is necessary for management.
It is important to consider the people who would access your files. If employees are sharing files with clients, it should be easy for everyone to understand. It becomes necessary to consider devices where the documents can be accessed and stored: desktop, laptops, mobile etc. The best document system is where it is easy to synchronize the files among various devices and have access anytime when required.
Having an efficient system with all the features is important, but at the same time, it should be user-friendly, where it doesn’t get complicated for management. Who all can have access to files, i.e. permission to use the files should be an important factor to consider.
Why file management design is important for startups?
Saving time, increasing productivity, reducing stress level is important to help the startups run the business more smoothly. For this, it is well worth putting an effective file management system in place.
File management system offers scalable, remote access from multiple devices, and automatically backup and sync files.
- It works naturally, this means, there is no need of special software, or connect via VPN. It is possible to access files with any web browser. This enables startups to manage important documents from anywhere.
- It provides effective file management as a Software as a Service solution. There is no need to purchase hardware/software and maintain IT staff. This helps startups to focus on core business, rather than on technology infrastructure.
- File management system makes it easy to organize documents, as the user is able to put metadata for files and documents like keywords, title, description.
- Document management system is scalable, i.e. as the startup expands, many file management system providers offer unlimited document storage option to meet the requirements.
- It offers security, file management system ensures that important and confidential documents are not being compromised and also ensures proper management of users and groups accessing those files.
- DMS provides backup of all the files and documents. The documents are stored servers and network centers, hence the files will not get lost and organization can archive business documents safely without having to stress over potential property damage.
Guidelines to manage files and documents effectively:
- Choose or create one folder as a central place to store files
- Creating hierarchy makes it easy to find exact information rather than putting everything in one single folder
- Giving standard file name can save lot of time while searching for the particular file or document
- Version control is important, as documents having multiple version should have a new name. This helps in eliminating confusion and need to redo original
Files, documents, and data that are well organized and organization or business having full control over these files and documents from the beginning is an asset for the startup. Once the right file management provider is in place, can start off with a well-organized system so as the files grow, employees will be able to easily find the files or documents.
What a well-designed file management system must have:
- Filing must be less difficult, and tedious,
- Offer quick retrieval of information with a minimum of wasted time and effort
- Allow for the easy identification of documents and files
- Provide clear and simple file classification
- Flexible enough to meet business needs
A well designed and managed file can offer several benefits such as easier training of new personnel, protection of confidential records, improved client service, offers procedure for disposal of unwanted records or documents.
A good filing system is achieved with a good plan. Before opting for the file management system, must assign responsibility, analyze records, choose the right document management system that meets the need of organization, implement the system, train users and keep on monitoring the workflow carried with the help of file management system.
Though content management systems offer functionality, with of well-organized files and documents, searching documents can be a difficult task, and search results will be limited. Further, if shared drives are full of unnecessary data, searching file or document can be a difficult task. Ensuring well-organized file management system is important to eliminate performing unnecessary task and wasting time.