In this continuously changing era of mobile development, businesses have to remain in the competition. For that, they have discovered the need of having a mobile app that runs across major devices and platforms. But there is a confusion that all businesses face before starting the app development process- Cross-platform app or native one?
If companies prefer a specific platform for their app to run, the traditional Native App approach would be perfect. If they consider all 3 big platforms for their app development, then they have to build each application exclusively for Android, Windows, or iOS. For that, they need to hire a large team of developers and have multiple codebases for each platform. It delays the completion of all apps. Eventually, this approach also slows down the innovation of new features in the app. The reason behind is that developers focus more on issues related to platforms, rather than on building user experience and developing new features.
But there is no need to choose the platform anymore. Companies can ask for the cross platform apps for all major platforms such as Android, Windows, and iOS. There is an entirely new approach to achieve the desired application. And that is- Xamarin App development and C#.
The views of Vice President of Microsoft about Xamarin is
The broad collaboration between Microsoft and Xamarin is targeted at supporting developers interested in extending their applications across multiple devices. With Xamarin, developers combine all of the productivity benefits of C#, Visual Studio 2013 and Windows Azure with the flexibility to quickly build for multiple device targets.
Here are few reasons to select Xamarin for cross-platform app development:
- With the help of Xamarin, developers are able to create native mobile app along with device-specific experiences. Xamarin technology delivers compiled code of high performance with complete access to all native APIs. Developers can do everything in C# with Xamarin, that they are able to do in Java or Objective-C.
- For cross-platform mobile apps, Xamarin is the perfect development environment. Xamarin Studio or Xamarin with Visual Studio enable the developers to get all the benefits of powerful and modern IDEs. It will help them to boost support process. In addition to that, they can also simplify the development process.
- Xamarin technology allows the developer to have Native UI across all the desired platforms. While sharing the codebase, application logic and enjoying API coverage, Xamarin preserves Native Performance of the app. It allows reusing team, tools, skills, and code. This reusing factor saves resources and time of the businesses.
- Xamarin App Development is integrated with the SDKs of different operating systems. Developers have the ability to utilize the native controls. These controls exist for the Android, Windows or iPad and need to code only once. Conditional compilation, Portable Class Libraries, and linked files make it possible for the developers to share the codebase. The ability to reuse almost 70% of the code reduces the development time by half. It saves time and money of the customers and companies that are providing services. In addition to that, a single codebase reduces costs for new features introduction and support.
- Google Glass Devices are also supported by Xamarin.Android. This is a great opportunity for the developers to make changes with Xamarin. With the help of Android SDK, GDK and Xamarin, developers are able to leverage the array of Android APIs and Xamarin. They can also design the great experience for Glass devices users.
- Visual Studio natively supports Windows 8 and Windows Phone development. Xamarin does not involve there. The code can be shared between Windows, Android, and iOS. It is done by using proper application architecture and Portable Class Libraries.
- Developers can test their Android and iOS apps on Xamarin TestCloud. This TestCloud allows them to do testing on hundreds of devices. It also offers continuous integration, test for fragmentation, object-based UI testing, and great reports regarding the test.
- Xamarin allows the developers to build any mobile or web application in C#. This is modern, simple, object-oriented and general-purpose programming language. Developers can also leverage the power of strongly typed language.
- Developers can use the syntax of C# to develop async code in the clean and nice way.
With the help of Xamarin, developers are able to write their apps entirely in C# language. They can share the same code on Windows, iOS, Mac and Android. Xamarin developers also reuse their desired .NET libraries. Plus, it is convenient for them to incorporate the platform-specific frameworks and libraries whenever they want. xamarin certified developer enables the developers to create modern, fast, user-friendly and reliable applications. These apps would also be more cost effective.