Moses Lake - Titan Data Center
Many growing businesses have faced a similar need, regardless of the type of business they are, and that is how to expand their data center. In todayâs business world, doctors, plumbers, realtors, hair dressers, and just about every other business operate on computers and with the use of the Internet. When business improves and the demand on business computer technology increases, businesses will need to make sure that the data center is capable of handling the growth and this means expanding the data center. When your business experiences this type of growth, do you know how to grow your data center the smart way?
Four Options for Dealing with Data Center Growth
Most businesses will look into three options for dealing with their need for data center growth and some businesses will choose a hybrid approach.
The first option is to order a pre-built, transportable container data center. These can be ordered and delivered within a very short amount of time, and your business can be handling the growing flow of exchanges as quickly as possible. However, this method of expanding your data center does not provide a very secure situation for your information.
A second option is to utilize the cloud for temporary storage. While not a feasible option as a long-term solution, the cloud also offers a very quick solution to your need for more data center operations.
Another popular option is to rent space at a colocation center. This option provides flexibility when it comes to future growth or even consolidation. Some colocation centers will work with your current IT staff and will negotiate a contract to meet your specific needs.
A fourth option is to build your own data center. These centers can meet the potential needs of a large amount of growth, are well-equipped to meet the energy and bandwidth needs that your business needs, and are built to provide efficient, secure, and redundant operations. In some cases, as with high-frequency trading firms, multiple data centers placed strategically will be the best solution.
For some businesses, a combination of these options will be the best solution.
How to Choose the Best Option for Your Business
In order to determine which option or combination of options will be right for your business, find the answers to these questions:
- Do you have the resources to build your own data center or to do the reconstruction necessary to convert some of your space?
- How quickly do you need the additional data center capacity? Do you have time to build a new data center or do you need a solution right away?
- How much additional space do you need now and how much do you think your business will need in the future?
- What type of environmental and cooling requirements do you need to meet? The rules and building codes in your area may prevent you from simply remodeling to meet your expansion needs.
- Do you prefer the initial investment of building or the ongoing expenses of utilizing a colocation center? Keep in mind that the solution itself may also be one that eventually becomes null or will continue to be a viable option depending upon your situation and the solution you choose.