Know How to Import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook 2010
The Mozilla Thunderbird email client saves contacts in multiple different file formats. One can just click on the three bars on the top-right hand corner to import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook 2010. Then, go to Tools >>Address Book and the complete address book will appear in front of the user. Normally one would just go to Tools and then select the export option to backup Thunderbird Address Book. The available options include to convert LDIF to CSV, LDIF, vCard, and Tab delimited text file. However, this post deals with methods to migrate contacts from LDIF to Outlook.
Possible Solutions to Import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook
Before you import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook 2010 you should some basic of Thunderbird LDIF. It uses the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol to backup Mozilla Address Book. The full form of LDIF is Lightweight directory interchange format. This format saves Mozilla contacts in a single address book file with .ldif extension. Following are some of the ways for exporting Thunderbird contacts from LDIF to Outlook 2010.
Method 1: Using Outlook Express as Intermediary
There is no direct approach to import LDIF file to Outlook 2010. The manual solutions require a third tool for the transaction between different file format. LDIF file format is not supported by Outlook application. Hence, use Outlook Express(in XP computers) or Windows Live Mail(in Vista machines) to import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook 2010. Repeat the steps below to move contacts from Thunderbird profile to Outlook 2010.
- First, Launch the Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail application. Skip the part where it asks to create or set up an account.
- Next, go to the File>>Import>>Other Address Book.
- Now, an Import dialogue box will appear.
- From there, select the LDIF option and click on the Import button.
- Then, Browse to the folder location where the .ldif file in kept. This will start the process to import LDIF contacts to Outlook.
- Next, locate the file from the file explorer window and click on the Open button.
- Then, close the Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail application.
- Now, launch the Outlook 2010 application to start moving contacts via LDIF Outlook import.
- Next, go to File>>Open>>Import.
- From the Import Export Wizard dialogue box, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses and click on the Next button.
- From the Outlook import tool, choose to import from Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail.
- Next, uncheck the Mail import option and click on the Next button. This will select to migrate contacts from LDIF to Outlook.
- From the Import Address section, select the appropriate option for dealing with duplicates and click the Next button.
- Now, an Import Summary will appear. Click on the OK button to completely import LDIF contacts to Outlook.
Limitations of Using Manual Process
- Bulk Conversion not Possible: This process can only move one LDIF file at a time. To import multiple .ldif files to a single Outlook mailbox is not possible using the manual method.
- Irrelevant: The manual procedure is not a cup of tea for non-technical users. Hence, they find better online solutions to directly import LDIF file to Outlook 2010.
Method 2: Using an Automated Solution
There is a direct method to import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook 2010. One can use a third-party software like MAB Converter to backup Thunderbird Address Book. It is one of the best professional tool to export Thunderbird MAB file to CSV, PST. VCF, vCard, and even in LDIF format also.
The user can directly move all contacts from LDIF or Mozilla Address Book to Microsoft Outlook. The utility also exports LDIF active directory, there two working modes available to use this tool: with or without Outlook is helpful to multiple users. It is compatible with all versions of Windows operating system 10 and below.
Actually, there are no direct ways to manually import Thunderbird LDIF to Outlook 2010. Often users look for workarounds to save address book into Outlook 2010 directly using an automated solution. One such efficient tool has been described in this post. This is a highly recommended option preferred by many data recovery agents. It is the best way to convert LDIF file to Outlook. for home users. It is an easy and user-friendly way to move around address book contacts between Thunderbird and Outlook.