Cloud computing has really started to take off, if you haven't heard about cloud computing and cloud solutions you must have been living in a cave for the past few years. Below is how Wikipedia defines cloud computing:
Cloud computing is an expression used to describe a variety of computing concepts that involve a large number of computers connected through a real-time communication network such as the internet; source.
So what are the benefits?
1. Cloud solutions enable you to reduce your business infrastructure costs, these types of systems enable you to backup and maintain easy access to your business data without hiring specialist staff and you only pay for what you use, many cloud solution providers offer pay as you go yearly, monthly and even weekly plans.
2. Globalise your business, if you have staff at many different locations around the world, cloud solutions will enable them to access the same data simultaniously, all that is required is an internet connection. Thanks to products like BlueJeans, communication, conferences and meetings can be enabled via the cloud too, A BlueJeans cloud solution means that your company's staff, new and exisiting business contacts can communicate effectively and share files using many different platforms, these platforms include Googletalk, Skype or even just a web browser.
3. Make your data more accessible, all you will need to access your data via the cloud is an internet connection.
4. More secure, backing up your important documents to the cloud means that they will always be there when you need them and protected from harddrive failure, fire or theft.
5. Compete on a global scale, these kind of solutions enable tiny business to compete globally with large corporations.
6. Reduce travelling expenses, as we said in point 2, cloud based products like BlueJeans enable effective communication with multiple parties over long distances this reduces travelling expenses, travelling time and your businesses carbon footprint.
7. Access data on the move, thanks to 4g technology and smartphones backing your files up to the cloud means you can potentially access them from anywhere with a mobile phone signal.
8. Quick deployment, a cloud based communication solution means that meetings and conferences can be arranged over different time zones, etc. at the drop of a hat.
If you can think of anymore cloud computing benefits please let us know below. There are of course disadvantages to cloud computing, the main one being: Security, if you choose to back-up data in the cloud you will potentially be giving sensitive information to a third party provider and even hackers. Security is not such a concern for cloud based video conferencing and a product like BlueJeans will keep you meetings entirely secure.
When choosing your solution provider make sure that they offer you flexibility and a package that can grow with your business or that can be reduced if your business requires it.
This post was written and supplied by Mark Stubbles, Mark has first hand experience of cloud computing and is a freelance blogger.
This blog is listed under Cloud Computing Community