R and PYTHON both are popular programming languages used for statistics. Now let us have a brief analysis on the topic that which one is better for data analysis.
Truth is that both are winners, they both have advantages and disadvantages and selection of one over another depends on some parameters like usage, tools required and cost of its training.
- Download and install R studio.
- For manipulating packages install data. Table, dplyr, and plyr.
- For manipulation of strings- stringr
- For data visualization of data- ggvis, ggplot2, rcharts, googlevis and lattice.
- A rich ecosystem- R has an active support community. R packages can be searched easily at GitHub, CRAN etc.
- For statisticians- it is mostly adopted in data science environment as it is made for this purpose only.
- It is a free open source code license
- Anyone can access the R source codes and modify them.
There are some disadvantages of R. Is slow to use due to poorly written code, R packages are hard to find and it is a time-consuming process, R has a steep non- trivial learning curve etc.
- For making it usable- download scipy and pandas.
- For making graphics- install matplotlib
- For machine learning – scikit- learn
Advantages of python are-
- Relatively slower learning curve.
- It is a flexible and simple language.
- Easy sharing of files.
- Python is an easy programming language to understand
- Faster speed
- Python framework ensures code is reusable.
- A single tool can integrate multiple languages
- Visualization is possible easily
Disadvantages of python include its slow speed, it is not meant for mobile applications and generally not safe. There are many errors that can occur with this software.Both R and python has its pros and cons. So the choice is ultimately yours. We can only guide you but one can be chosen over the other based on the fact which task you are about to perform as both the languages are equally good. A decision should be made keeping the factors in mind like resources required, learning cost and need of the tasks that can be performed.