The data center has become a crucial element of a businessâs infrastructure. As a business grows, it becomes mandatory for making a commitment to a long-term IT infrastructure. Medium sized businesses need a full-scale data center service and their todayâs decision will have an impact on their IT infrastructure for years to come, if not decades. Prior ironing out the details of IT plan, a business must make a decision which will be base for entire strategy. Whether they will be building a full-scale in-house data center or utilize an outsourced collocation facility?
If you want to have your own data center, many considerations need to be taken into account. But the most fundamental steps that help creating a more efficient, scalable and manageable datacenter, which keeps evolving as per your organizationâs needs are:
- Modular approach: The infrastructure of the data center is getting more complex every year due to advent of new technologies that creates a ragbag of incompatible frameworks and consoles across server, network and storage silos. Turning to a modular design can afford much more simplicity and flexibility for enterprises, allowing their IT architects for the addition or removal of building blocks as required.
- Maximum convergence: Most of the enterprise IT managers are making a move for converged datacenter infrastructure as it utilizes only a few dedicated resources and hence, more economical and efficient. Storage convergence was initiated more than a decade ago using specialized devices, but all the functions were combined into a single appliance referred as data center. More convergence implies more scalability, high speed and dedicated equipment of networking.
- Software driven: Gone are the days when specialized hardware were utilized. Modern era is all about software due to the portability factor. It also fulfill the demands that todayâs datacenters have. Software utilization allows it to be automated and centrally controlled, which in turn saves on costs and provides much more agility. And the improved applications can enhance uptime, service continuity and global scalability during site breakdown,
- Espouse commodity hardware: Most of the web searches and cloud services behind low cost commodity hardware operating distributed software. Such sort of innovative approach allows fast scaling with low investments. In simple words, the value lies in the software that reinforces the low-cost hardware.
- Empower customers: Now-a-days, datacenters need to be much more reliable and resilient than ever. They must maintain continuity in handling the traditional data needs of enterprises and also meet the growing needs ranging from Virtual desktop infrastructures to handheld devices. Modernized data centers help addressing workload demands by new consumerization in a better way.
- Analyze silos: The growth in functionality as well as complexity resulted into the formation of technology silos. Each of which needs to be managed by a team of professionals. So, it is better to use combined appliances as integration into a single scalable unit helps reducing the need of highly specialized staff.
- Go hybrid: Enterprises today want to use the public cloud to get some features but still worried about safekeeping of business-critical applications that confidential data. To meet this dual aspect, it is a good idea to go for hybrid environments.
- Aimed at service community: Enterprises are focusing on being competitive and adapting to the rapidly changing environments of business. They need enhanced data computing and storage capacity quickly and adapt new capabilities without extra expenditures.