on 11 October 18
Everyone uses a search engine! And yet, not everyone in marketing understands the difference between SEO, PPC, metatags and keywords. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. PPC stands for Pay-Per-Click. I know it can be confusing butâ¦
To be a successful marketer today, you need to understand how to show up in the search results of your buyersâ search engine activity. To do this you must understand keywords and content and how they interact with each other to gain that coveted top spot in the search engine results.
This is not just about being a successful marketer. This is about driving real business results in the form of traffic to your website, getting more consumers of your content and ultimately to obtaining more paying customersâ¦
- Keyword Research Is Important To The Whole Business!
- Last week, the folks at OpenView Venture Partners launched A Business Guide To Keyword Research: Better Keywords, Better Customers. I was honored to have a quote included in the guide because of the passion I hold for this topic.
- I truly believe that understanding the elements of search engine marketing and keyword research goes beyond just good marketing, and even successful digital marketing - all the way to being a dependency on running a successful business.
- The quote they used:000000;">I often talk about the importance of putting our audience at the center of everything we do and creating customer-focused marketing plans. Keyword research is fundamental to that process because it allows marketers to get inside the minds of our buyers - not just in understanding what they are looking for, but the actual words they are using. Magic happens when businesses create content that maps directly to their needs and uses our buyersâ own language.
- And what Iâm talking about is the fact that keyword strategy and keyword research start with the fundamental belief that our businesses exist at their most basic level to simply fulfill a customer need.
- They own the need. And they decide when and how to go find a solution.
- The Right Keywords = The Right Content
- Knowing how people search for solutions is just the first step. You have to then build that knowledge of your customers into an effective Content Strategy. If Search Engine Marketing is knowing how your buyers search, then Content Strategy involves having the content they are looking for.
- And of course these go hand-in-hand. Having the right content isnât enough. Your content needs to include those keywords so that it can be effectively indexed by the search engines.
- Getting indexed for the right keywords means getting found by your buyers.
- Search Engine Marketing is Really Hard!
- While this all sounds so simple, the fact is that search engine marketing is really hard. The reason for this starts with the fact that buyers donât always search for the terms we think they do.
Additionally, you cannot buy your way to the top of the list (like with most traditional marketing.) You have to earn your way there (with both paid and organic search) due to a little something called the quality score. The quality score is calculated by the search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo in the US) and requires that you have the content your buyers want and that this content includes the keywords your buyers are searching for.
You also need to be a credible source. Credibility is often determine by the number of other people who link to you, the relative size and credibility of those sites and a whole bunch of search engine secret sauce that only the brilliant minds at Google and the other search engine giants know.
- Last but certainly not least, in order to master the art of search engine marketing, you need to understand SEO concepts like tagging, url composition and anchor text. My advice: outsource this piece to the experts.
- Better Keywords, Better Customers
- The Keyword Research Guide from Openview includes:
- An Introduction to Keyword Research
- The Benefits of Keyword Research
- How to Customize Your Approach to Keyword Research
- Top Challenges
- Getting Started
- Keyword Research Checklist for the Project Sponsor
- Checklist for the Keyword Researcher
- Keyword Research Checklist for the Online Content Marketer and Social Media Marketing Manager
- Another Great Example of Content Marketing
- If youâve read this far, you must be interested in Search Engine Marketing, Content Marketing and, well, running successful marketing campaigns.
- The Search Engine Marketing and Keyword Research guide that OpenView produced is on a topic that I am really passionate about because I think it is fundamentally important to being successful in finding new customers for our businesses. But it is also a great example of content marketing!