The Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) have an exciting opportunity for two Information Management Specialists to join their growing team in either our Peterborough or Aberdeen Office.
Job Title:Information Management Specialist
Salary: 27,398 per annum
Job Type: Normal minimum hours of attendance for the post are 36 hours per week over a 5-day period, Monday to Friday. Flexi time is available.
Information Management Specialist Post Background:
The Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) is the statutory adviser to Government on UK and international nature conservation. One of JNCCs key roles is the provision of biodiversity related evidence and advising on how it can be used.
The Digital and Data Solutions (DDS) team supports this role by delivering a diverse portfolio of projects. DDS maintains JNCCs technical infrastructure by implementing systems, developing innovative approaches to data, and providing policy and advice on information management (IM). DDS also has an internal governance function in areas such as information security and data protection.
JNCC collects, compiles and funds the creation of a substantial volume of scientific data. Supply chains for this data are often complex and involve partnership working with external organisations in government, industry and the voluntary sector including citizen science schemes.
These two posts will involve engagement with a wide range of information management activities, with a focus on mapping workflows and analysing business processes to better understand how JNCC works with data. Successful candidates will support JNCCs science teams to apply best practice in intellectual property, data standards, and risk assessment of data for publication.
One or both posts will also involve administration of JNCCs internal metadata catalogue, and acting as a champion for the open data agenda by engaging with staff and external partners to shape organisational change. JNCC currently publishes more than 1,400 datasets through Data.gov.uk and is working with the statutory nature conservation bodies to publish as much biodiversity data as possible by 2020.
Information Management Specialist Post Duties:
The main duties of the posts are to:
- Undertake business analysis of workflows and decision-making that relate to management and sharing of data and advise JNCC staff and partners on good information management practices.
- Write policies and guidance and deliver training to staff on information management.
- Devise and implement risk audit processes for reporting on compliance with JNCCs information management policies including any legal requirements.
- Collate an inventory of JNCCs data assets, including administration of JNCCs internal metadata catalogue.
- Support JNCC staff to share and publish data including data that conforms to open data standards.
- Support JNCCs plans for migration of data storage and use to the cloud.
- Support other IM priorities such as data protection and data retention.
Information Management Specialist Post Competencies:
- Experience of data flow mapping or business analysis in an information management context. (Essential)
- Excellent communication skills and experience of writing policy or guidance on technical subjects for a mainly non-technical audience. (Essential)
- A good understanding of the data lifecycle, from discovery through to storage of data. (Essential)
- Knowledge or experience of one or more of: open data principles, data licensing, metadata and data standards, data visualisation, or work with spatial data. (Desirable)
- Experience of working with biodiversity data or environmental data. (Desirable)
Information Management Specialist -Benefits:
- 25 days leave rising to 30 after five years service; 12 days public and privilege holiday per year
- The opportunity to join the Civil Service pension arrangements, which include a valuable range of benefits
- Occupational sick pay scheme; Flexible working practices
- Family-friendly policies
- Enhanced maternity and paternity entitlement
- Employee Assistance Programme (a free, confidential service offering expert advice, invaluable information, specialist counselling and support)
Access to the following schemes:
- Cycle scheme
- Tax Free Childcare vouchers
The closing date for this post is 9.00 on 08 February 2019 and the anticipated interview date is during week commencing 25 February 2019.
To submit your application for this exciting Information Management Specialist opportunity, please click Apply, now!