When most people hear "Wordpress", they usually think of a site building platform. However, there are actually two distinct versions of Wordpress.
One requires you buy a domain and web hosting, the other does not. These two versions are typically referred to as Wordpress DOT org and Wordpress DOT com.
This course is about the latter. In other words, the version that does not require you buy a domain name or web hosting subscription.
This course will teach you how to setup a website without needing to buy a domain or web hosting. This version of Wordpress does have some limitations, but you'll learn about those in this course.
This course will start from the very beginning, and you'll start off by registering at Wordpress and choosing an address for your website. Once you've chosen this, your website will be created and be online right there and then. All that is needed is for you to go in and add content.
You'll learn how to use the "My Sites" menu to access the Wordpress Dashboard. The Dashboard gives you access to all of the tools you'll need to create your own, personal website. You'll learn how to:
- Change the site title.
- Update your user profile.
- Choose a theme - not all themes are equal.
- Upload a custom header image for your site.
- Customize the colors and fonts used by the theme to give your website a personal touch.
- Create posts and add them to categories.
- Use categories and tags to group your content into logical sets that will help visitors find what they are interested in.
- Use Wordpress pages for content that isn't related to other site content, like the contact page, about us and disclaimers.
- Create a blog style homepage that lists all of your recent posts on the homepage, with new posts being added at the top of the page.
- Alternatively, create a static style homepage that uses a single article for the content of the homepage.
- Use menus to build intuitive navigation systems for your site.
- Use widgets to add new features to areas of your site. e.g. You'll create a menu and add it to the sidebar.
- Manage visitor comments, including how to set comments up for manual approval and how to approve these comments when they come in.
- Take your website on the road, using mobile apps to work on your site on a mobile phone or tablet.
In addition, I'll tell you about the limitations of this version of Wordpress and why self-hosting may be a better option.
By the end of this course, you will be able to build your own website using all of the free tools available.