This is PART 1 of a two part course looking at the new features of Java 8.
In this part, we take an in-depth look at lambdas and their supporting features; things like functional interfaces and type inference. In the follow up course (PART 2), we look at the remaining features.
After watching this course, you'll
- Have an overview of new features in Java 8
- Understand lambdas in-depth, their background, syntax, implementation details and how and when to use them
- Understand the difference between functions to classes and why that's relevant to lambdas
- Understand the difference between lambdas and closures
- Appreciate the improvements to type inference that drive a lot of the new features
- Be able to use method references and understand scoping and "effectively final"
- Understand the differences in bytecode produced when using lambdas
- Be able to reason about exceptions and exception handling best practice when using lambdasvariables
So whether you're migrating existing Java programs to Java 8 or building applications from scratch, this course will help you start to leverage the power of functional programming on the Java platform.