Taught by a 4 person team including 2 Stanford-educated, ex-Googlers and 2 ex-Flipkart Lead Analysts. This team has decades of practical experience in working with Java and with billions of rows of data.
This course is a zoom-in, zoom-out, hands-on workout involving Hadoop, MapReduce and the art of thinking parallel.
Let’s parse that.
Zoom-in, Zoom-Out: This course is both broad and deep. It covers the individual components of Hadoop in great detail, and also gives you a higher level picture of how they interact with each other.
Hands-on workout involving Hadoop, MapReduce : This course will get you hands-on with Hadoop very early on. You'll learn how to set up your own cluster using both VMs and the Cloud. All the major features of MapReduce are covered - including advanced topics like Total Sort and Secondary Sort.
The art of thinking parallel: MapReduce completely changed the way people thought about processing Big Data. Breaking down any problem into parallelizable units is an art. The examples in this course will train you to "think parallel".
Lot's of cool stuff ..
- Using MapReduce to
- Recommend friends in a Social Networking site: Generate Top 10 friend recommendations using a Collaborative filtering algorithm.
- Build an Inverted Index for Search Engines: Use MapReduce to parallelize the humongous task of building an inverted index for a search engine.
- Generate Bigrams from text: Generate bigrams and compute their frequency distribution in a corpus of text.
- Build your Hadoop cluster:
- Install Hadoop in Standalone, Pseudo-Distributed and Fully Distributed modes
- Set up a hadoop cluster using Linux VMs.
- Set up a cloud Hadoop cluster on AWS with Cloudera Manager.
- Understand HDFS, MapReduce and YARN and their interaction
- Customize your MapReduce Jobs:
- Chain multiple MR jobs together
- Write your own Customized Partitioner
- Total Sort : Globally sort a large amount of data by sampling input files
- Secondary sorting
- Unit tests with MR Unit
- Integrate with Python using the Hadoop Streaming API
.. and of course all the basics:
- MapReduce : Mapper, Reducer, Sort/Merge, Partitioning, Shuffle and Sort
- HDFS & YARN: Namenode, Datanode, Resource manager, Node manager, the anatomy of a MapReduce application, YARN Scheduling, Configuring HDFS and YARN to performance tune your cluster.
Using discussion forums
Please use the discussion forums on this course to engage with other students and to help each other out. Unfortunately, much as we would like to, it is not possible for us at Loonycorn to respond to individual questions from students:-(
We're super small and self-funded with only 2 people developing technical video content. Our mission is to make high-quality courses available at super low prices.
The only way to keep our prices this low is to *NOT offer additional technical support over email or in-person*. The truth is, direct support is hugely expensive and just does not scale.
We understand that this is not ideal and that a lot of students might benefit from this additional support. Hiring resources for additional support would make our offering much more expensive, thus defeating our original purpose.
It is a hard trade-off.
Thank you for your patience and understanding!