on 19 October 18
Today, more than ever, you and I need someone to guide us on choosing the right Internet service provider (ISP). There are the national players and regional players. They use technical terms to tell you about their products and services. But, how do you decide which one is the best? Shared below are ten tips that can answer your question – How do I choose an Internet Service Provider in My Area?
- Check customer servicing records – Read reviews online, visit Quora, ask friends and family. The ways to check the service standards of a company are many, and experience dictates that a good customer-oriented service saves time, money and energy.
- Understand your requirement – If you are already using broadband at home, you would have a fair idea of your requirement and choose a plan accordingly. On the other hand, if you are taking a plan for the first time, let your ISP representative guide you. Your first plan should neither be too high, nor too low. That brings up the next tip.
- Opt for adjustable plans – As a first time user, you may not be able to actively judge your data needs. Contact the Internet service provider in your area to find out if you can upgrade or downgrade your plan at will.
- Get the highest speeds – Since the world is moving at a fast pace, it makes more sense to get the highest speed for your connectivity. Today, 4G rules the roost, and it should be your first choice too. However, a 3G connection is equally competent of meeting all data requirements.
- Do your research – As all the above tips will tell you, you need to do a thorough research on each and every aspect of the plan, requirement, etc before you make a final choice. Don’t be shy of asking the company representatives or go online to get information with minutest of details.
- Brand name matters – You may think brands are not bothered with a single customer, but the opposite actually stands true. The bigger the brand, the more they have to lose if a single customer complaint turns into a wave on the Internet. They are not only backed by service standards but companies such as Airtel also focus their energies on improving experiences and technologies.
- Cost – Your budget should never be compromised. You will be footing a monthly bill for your usage. Hence, take note of how much you have to pay upfront or any other bills the company is likely to raise.
- Add on Values – When you are on the lookout for ISP providers in your area, add the prices for add-ons. For example, India’s largest private broadband player, offers a modem at no extra cost, free local and STD calls from its landline number, free subscription to Wynk music and much more. Be wary of players who are not upfront of any additional cost that you may have to bear on a monthly, quarterly or yearly bill cycle.
- Uninterrupted connection – You need to check, research and ask which type of cables will give you uninterrupted connection and minimum buffering. You do not want your daughter to miss out on those precious marks just because the connection was getting interrupted, forcing her to spend double the time required to complete her Science Fair project.
- Check availability in your area - Last, as is the saying, but not the least – you need to check the availability of the Internet provider’s connectivity in your area. A good player will give you the information upfront on their website. In fact, there is Airtel shares clearly on its website the speed and plans that are available in your area.
The tips are not in a sequence but each is equally important to ensure that you have access to the best internet service provider in your area. Put your smart brain cells to work and opt for a plan and an ISP provider that marries your data requirements with best services and budget.