Whitespace often called negative space is something that shows an empty space, in between or around the objects of the page, you built for your website. There are some elements of whitespace or empty space in graphic user interfaces, i.e. GUI are:
- Gutters, margins and padding, space in between or around the images as well as graphic objects.
- The line spacing as well as letter spacing within the text content.
In as much as, some people think whitespace or negative space a waste of their valuable screen estate, it is an important element in a graphic or web design. As a matter of face, a white space or negative space is just as essential as the content. Though, whitespace or negative space is one of the most common things to look after and an active elements, but not a passive background.
All the good user interfaces or UI associates with proper whitespace or negative space values into all the page elements from right to left or top to bottom. The whitespace or negative space on a page is essential as the space generally occupied by user interface elements due to text, buttons, images, logos and other essential objects that need room to breathe. Here, in this blog, we are about to discuss how to use whitespace or negative space in your design to give your design a clean and uncluttered feel.
- Improve Your Textual Readability - Whitespace is capable to make an excellent reading that would be easier for your readers, but that you need to know where to and how to use. If your design lacks whitespace or negative space on the cluttered page then it will not make any sense to make the users who wish to read the content easily.
On the other hand, properly utilized whitespace has not been proven to effective, if you do not use them properly, which means your used space need to improve the readability of your users, which is important. At the end of the day, you will see how many visitors or readers are coming on your web page and read. You should keep in mind one thing is that your text comprehension should be up to 20 percent. There are two most important things to bear in mind.
The first one is, when optimizing the text content look after the PARAGRAPH MARGINS and LINE SPACING.
The second and most important is drastically improve the legibility of the text body, generally the larger the text body the better user experience.
- Clarifying the Relationship - The entire layout arises from the detail of its parts as well as content relationships, and are defined by the surrounding whitespace or negative space. Here comes the law of proximity, and that states the objects near to each other appeared to be similar. The whitespace or the negative space generally acts as a visual cue in this case. Now, take a look at the picture.
- According to the Gestalt laws the objects in its close proximity will show as one unit only and the white space acts accordingly. Therefore, the more you give whitespace the more you will space blank units.
- Attention of Attraction – A designer can use negative space or whitespace to interact what is most essential at a glance. There is a fundamental relationship between a distance as well as attention; larger the distance forces more the attention. If you believe in using extra padding, it is quite impossible then to use a whitespace for the purpose of your benefits and to draw wandering the people’s eyes onto the certain page elements. However, extra padding can give you a particular segment of a content base and that can create large number of attention, simply because there is nothing else on the screen to draw proper attention.
- Creating Visual Hierarchy – In the time you use whitespace appropriately, it allows a page to automatically create a general flow as well as balance. This balance will help turn to interact the intent of the design. This type of whitespace or negative space can support the overall hierarchy. It can produce symmetry and or asymmetry.
- Improving the Conversion – The conversion rate can be improved with the help of white space or negative space. However, it should be not many things that you can do, but the thing you need to know where to use and how to use them appropriately.
Many people believe, especially designers believe white space or negative space is nothing but a space waste, but not like that. It is a powerful design tool that can be every bit as essential as the space occupied by the imagery, text content and other UI i.e. user interface object.