on 19 June 17
With so many websites on the internet that can aid us in our pursuit to travel the globe, the term âthe world at our fingertipsâ starts to hold a whole new meaning. It opens up a myriad of possibilities for ordinary travellers like you and me.
And when it comes to travel & tourism, TripAdvisor (www.tripadvisor.com) is one of the most popular websites out there that offers comprehensive information, travel guides, tips, photos, and actual reviews from travelers.
So if you are planning for either a short trip, a quick layover, or a long vacation, TripAdvisor is a one-stop shop that can help you decide your itinerary. To give you a feel of what this website can offer , let us share with you a quick and easy guide on the important things that you need to learn about TripAdvisor.
Accessing the Site
How do we get started? By using any web browser available in your computer (i.e. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.), type Trip Advisorâs URL as www.tripadvisor.com and click âEnterâ.
Have you decided on your destination?
If you are planning to go someplace unfamiliar, TripAdvisor is a good place to start your research.
For this example let us use Singapore as the destination:
- Simply type in Singapore on the âSearchâ bar located at the upper right corner and choose the option that best suits what you are looking for:
- The website would offer you information about the place. You would also be able to browse photos and videos of some of the scenic spots frequented by travelers like the one shown below:
Having a hard time deciding where to stay?
Some of us may be very picky on where to stay while on vacation. Itâs a good thing that TripAdvisor has a lot of reviews from actual travelers who have stayed at these places.
- In the TripAdvisor site, simply click on the âHotelsâ tab on the upper right portion and type in the hotel name/place of destination.
- Indicate the planned dates for your trip and click on the âFind Hotelsâ button to start searching.
- From the search results, you can further fine-tune by using filters such as what type of residence do you want to stay in (i.e., Hotel, Inn, Vacation Rentals):
- Or filter according to budget, recommendations, Hotel Class
- You may view all the results and sort it according to your preference:
- You may also read the reviews for this hotel, as well as view photos posted by other travellers:
- Once you have decided to book a particular hotel, you can just simply click on the yellow button at the right side and it will automatically redirect you to TripAdvisorsâ partner sites for booking:
Searching for Affordable Flights
- TripAdvisor also offers help in searching for affordable flights for you. Click on the âFlightsâtab as shown below:
- Just type in the details of your trip and click on âSearch Flightsâ to start the search for the best fare rates:
Sample Search Results:
- You may also filter the results depending on your preferences. Also, on the left hand side, you may refine the search further:
- If you want to book a flight from here, just hit the yellow button on the corresponding flight, and the site will redirect you to its authorized partner sites to proceed with the booking transaction.
Other Valuable Features of TripAdvisor
- Forums - Unlike other travel websites, TripAdvisor has a very active community of travellers that participate in the Forums. Here, you may learn a lot more things about your place of destination, and you will definitely get practical tips from fellow tourists as well.
From the Home Page itself, you can may access the link to the forums page:
- Restaurant Reviews - You may also conduct a search on which restaurants are favoured by TripAdvisor members anywhere in the world. Just simply click on the âRestaurantâ tab and type the city/place where you intend to visit, and the results of all restaurants reviewed by members will be included:
Congratulations! you have mastered searching for destinations, flights and hotels on Tripadvisor. This should well prepare you for the next trip you are going to plan.
If you are already loving Tripadvisor and wish to use more of it, then why not register for an account? With an account, you can make comments/reviews/feedbacks about places as well as interact with other people in the Tripadvisor community. Read on to learn moreâ¦
Creating an Account in TripAdvisor
If you would like to actively contribute your own hotel/restaurant reviews, articles, feedback, or would like to post questions in the Forums page, then you would need to create an account in TripAdvisor.
There are two ways to do it, and both are free of charge!
- First option is by linking your Facebook account to Trip Advisor. Simply click on the âSign in with Facebookâ button, and the window will prompt you to enter your facebook email ID and password.
- Second option is to fill out their online form. You will be prompted to enter your e-mail address and choose a password, then complete your personal particulars and include a username as well. After completing all the fields, just hit âSign upâ and your account is already created.
The Wrap-Up - All ready for that journey?
By now we hope that you are equipped on the basic how-toâs for the following features of TripAdvisor:
- How to Access the TripAdvisor Website
- How to Research a place of interest (i.e. your next destination!)
- How to Search and Book for a Hotel
- How to Search and Book for a Flight
- How to Utilize the site for other Functions (i.e. Forums, Restaurant reviews)
- How to Create a TripAdvisor Account
Planning a vacation can be hectic, but TripAdvisor surely helps ease that burden. By utilizing the tools available to you, definitely you, your friends and loved ones can get that much needed hassle-free trip at the tip of your fingers.
We hope this guide has been helpful to your planning. Have a great trip ahead! :)