About the Course -
“Introduction to IoT Security and Hacking IoT Firmware” course is a highly
technical course focusing on IoT, IoT internals and Firmware security. The
main aim of the course is getting started with IoT and IoT Firmware security.
During the course, students will learn following things -
1) What is IoT
2) Current state and Future Prospect of IoT
3) Applications of IoT
4) IoT File Systems
5) IoT Processor Architecture
6) Various IoT Components and Communication between the components
7) IoT Protocols and Layerwise segregation
8) MQTT Protocol in depth
9) Functional Architecture
10) Getting started with IoT Security
11) Firmware KungFu - In this we will cover what are the various ways of hacking IoT Firmware.
12) Automated firmware analysis using tools
13) Checklist to be followed for security assessment of IoT Network
14) Important Links and Resources for getting update on issues arising related to IoT Security
15) Discussion - Advance topic to be added in future.
What all things will be shared with the students - All the students will be given slides and all the firmwares/tools required for doing Firmware Hacking practically. Students will be given a virtual machine pre-installed with all the tools needed for performing everything practically. This will save a lot of time needed for installing and setting up the tools.
What the course covers - The course covers everything needed for Hacking and Securing any IoT Firmware. Since students may not be familiar with IoT and its concepts, initial part of the course covers all the things needed for getting started with IoT and the rest is Firmware hacking Part.
Why you should learn IoT Security and take this course - If you observe, everything around us is getting connected to internet. Example - From mobile phone to Watch to Cars to Coffee Machine to Critical Industrial Control Systems everything is getting connected to Internet.This will continue to grow and research says by 2020 the number of connected device will be around 40 billion. If 40 billion devices get connected to internet, attack surface for hackers will be huge. Also, IoT security is still in nascent stage and it will pose a big challenge for us to protect 40 billion devices without lack of awareness and knowledge of how to secure IoT Devices. Thus, learning security of IoT is of prime importance to us.
Course Benefit - Through this course student will get an idea of IoT Security. This will get them an idea of how to protect their IoT Device from hackers. Also, you can make use of IoT Security skills and knowledge in yout professional life giving you an edge over their peers.Thus the course will be beneficial to you in both Personal and Professional life.