Creating a local WordPress website comes with a lot of advantages like speed of development, no waiting time for uploads and easy access to the site files. However the downside is when you have to move your work of web art onto the a live server.
These screencasts show you how to buy a domain, setup hosting, move the website live and submit to Google. So enjoy these 30 minutes of screencasts and learn how to move a WordPress website from local to live.
Step by Step of Moving a Local Wordpress Site LIVE
- Search for domain name and use domain suggest if you need help
- Purchase the domain using services like GoDaddy or NamesCheap
- Setup hosting either by purchasing a new account or doing an addon domain
- Copy the nameservers details from the hosting to the domain (simmer for 10 minutes to 2 days)
- Zip local files and upload via filemanager in cPanel then expand the directory
- Use the phpMyAdmin to export the local database
- Use Notepad++ or Mac equivalent to open the SQL file and find and replace “http://localhost” with “http://www.yourwebsite.com”
- Create MySQL database, create the user, add the user to the database
- Edit the wp-config and change the local details to the new database
- With your website ready add the sitemap plugin and submit to the Google webmaster tools
- Register for Google Apps and then add the tracking script to your theme
- Double check all the pages on your site, grab a coffee and congratulate yourself