Good information architecture is key to creating engaging, easy-to-use and intuitive websites. This online course, comprising 10 easy-to-follow lectures, will walk you through the card sorting process.
Card sorting is a professional exercise undertaken with participants that determines the best navigational structure (formally called â€˜information architectureâ€™) for your site. Card sorting can be carried out face-to-face, or online using a software program called OptimalSort. In this course, you will learn how to master both methods.
Developing an Information Architecture with Card Sorting also comes with resources, such as a moderation guide and research templates, created and used by the U1 Group consultancy team.
The benefits of card sorting
Carrying out card sorting prior to web design and development enables you to:
- See how users map out relationships between your content
- Figure out where users think content should (or shouldnâ€™t) sit
- Observe what navigation paths donâ€™t make sense to users and why
- Learn the language that users label categories of information with.
Through this research, you gain insight on how to create the most intuitive Information Architecture possible. The result is a user-friendly website structure that you can rest assured people will want to come back to, again and again.
- Youâ€™ll hear comments like: â€œWow! I can actually find the content I need!â€
- Youâ€™ll start seeing an increase in conversion rates
- Youâ€™ll lower incoming phone and email queries
- Youâ€™ll improve the overall customer experience, which builds advocacy.
â€¦just by understanding how to best present content on your website, thanks to card sorting. To get started, download our course now!