In this competitive era, companies are looking for professional offshore development partners for their project in low-cost countries, particularly in India. Offshore development is a practice in which companies hire the overseas partner to handle their technical work and they do the other stuff. It is necessary for the hiring companies to select best offshore development partners and set up a long-term partnership with them.
When it comes to prices, companies generally consider India as their offshore partner. It is true that India has been proven itself the best, still, there are few drawbacks too. Companies must have clear knowledge about the pros and cons of choosing this low-cost country.
Benefits Of Offshore Development Partner In India
- Companies are able to save cost up to 80%
- Offshore software development partners can add relevant technical knowledge and concentrate on their core competence at the same time
- It is easy to recruit the desired competence in India when compared to western countries. Because in India there are many skilled developers with good academic knowledge and training
- For the temporary work, offshore companies can use low priced developers in the development process instead of recruiting new expensive one
- Programming and consulting capacity is available in urgency and at a short notice
- Some companies send parts of a project or the whole project directly to India for the offshore software development. While some get consultants from India for the long or short term projects in order to outsource their programming requirement and work onsite with the design team of their company
Disadvantages Of Offshore Development Partner In India
- Cultural and language obstacles
- Time difference
- Problem in technical communication
- Skills mismatch
- Disagreement in quality
- Security issues
The Ideal Projects
The project with proprietary knowledge which is not secured by agreements is not ideal and suitable for the offshore software development. High technical and complex task is also not ideal because it takes a large amount of communication to explain the details. And due to this, the cost advantage is consumed. There are some projects which are suitable for the offshore software development and the possible areas for this projects are:
- Projects of platform porting like porting from Windows, UNIX, DOS
- Applications conversion
- GUI designs
- Web designing, development, and programming
- Database migration, porting and applications
- Components like VCL, Reports, ActiveX, are suitable for the projects
- End user documentation, technical documentation, and manuals
- Remote Unix/Linux Services
- Remote feature enhancements and software maintenance
- Remote database services
To find the offshore development partner in India, it is necessary that the following characteristics must get fulfilled:
- Good communication facilities and equipment. ISDN or leased line connection to the Internet are necessary
- English language skills must be excellent
- References and experiences. Companies must check some references given by the partner and ask for their work experience too
- Offshore development companies must have stable finance, good management, and adequate equipment
- Companies have to be sure that their offshore software development partner understands their quality demands and needs and a good relationship also established between them
There must be some established practices to protect the development process where the outsourcing companies got informed by the offshore companies on a regular basis about the progress. They need to follow the communication methodology in which they have to be sure that the emails are not left unanswered or lost and also acknowledged immediately. Email communication is important because most of the conversations between the client and the developers are done via this way.
It is important that specifications are made clear. Based on the working description, developers from the offshore development company ask queries and get answers to have a full understanding of their project. Good specifications result in the considerable saving in the time taken in completion of the projects and in good quality software.
To achieve success in offshore software development projects, companies have to be alert in the selection process. Companies should choose an offshore development partner who has a record in this type of activities over many years and also helps the companies to choose the suitable project. Companies can also send some pilot projects to many offshore companies and evaluate their results. It must maintain a long term relationship and must not expect everything from the start. Offshore developers are not only beneficial for the one-time project but they are profitable in long run.