on 07 January 19
In today’s digital times, a business with no web presence is difficult to imagine. Isn’t it?
Websites have come a long way from plain textual-based to rich multimedia-based and interactive ones. Chatbots are the latest trend that can be seen in the world of web. With every other website having a chatbot these days, this technology has taken the web world by storm.
For those of you who are yet unfamiliar with this cool technology, a chatbot (chat robot) is a computer program which is built upon AI (Artificial Intelligence) and simulates human conversation or chats.
You open an e-commerce website or an app and a dialogue box appears in front of you (usually on the bottom right side of your screen), displaying a message something like What can we find for you today. This is what a chatbot looks like.
In return, you type I am looking for white colored tees. After hitting the send button, you get all the available options of white colored tees in front of you. Got a rough idea how a chatbot works?
Can’t wait to add a chatbot to your website right away? You want to look at this then.
Building a chatbot is not a daunting task. You do not have to necessarily learn coding or any programming language in order to be able to build a chatbot. Neither is it something like only an expert in AI can understand the process of building a chatbot.
The very first thing that you should know is that it would be a bad idea to put a chatbot on your website which does not have any value or does not solve a single problem of your users. You shouldn’t add a chatbot to your website just for how cool this technology looks like. Once you’ve figured out what value you’re going to give and the goals of building your chatbot, you’re ready to go.
- Chatbot interactions are segmented into structured and unstructured interactions. The structured type includes menus, choices, and forms. The unstructured one includes freestyle text. You will have to develop scripts for these messages, which would require predicting and interpreting user answers.
- Wireframe all possible dialogues (conversations and all possible options for a response). This would be a slightly complex yet interesting task.
- Then, there are a number of tools and platforms (available as either free or/and paid versions) for building chatbots. They provide features like drag-and-drop templates, plugins, smart AI, integrations, visual editors, conversation flowcharts, and other pre-built features. Also, they will help you to smoothly embed your chatbot on your website after it has been built.
- Some of the popular tools that you can use to build your chatbot include Chatfuel, Facebook’s Bots For Messenger, ChattyPeople, Pandorabots, Botsify, Telegram Bots, IBM Watson, Chatscript, and ChatterBot, among others.
If this seems to be too technical to grasp and you wouldn’t want to risk building a poor chatbot for your website, you could just tell your web development company to do the same for you. Most probably, it would be included in your package and you wouldn’t be charged extra for getting a chatbot built. At the same time, it will eliminate your stress over building your perfect chatbot since the work of a professional cannot be matched to the regular one. Though it is totally up to you to decide what would work best for you.
Some reasons for you to add a cool chatbot to your website:
- By adding a chatbot to your e-commerce website, you would be able to assist shoppers in finding the products and items that they might be looking for.
- Shoppers would find more convenience in initiating their orders via your chatbot by telling the chatbot to place their order simply by typing a message or two.
- Chatbots can also accept payments from users, which they would require for paying bills and fares. They wouldn’t have to go through long payment processing.
- With your chatbot, you can provide instant customer support and technical assistance to your users because unlike customer support people, a chatbot never sleeps. When a user types in a query, the chatbot pulls an answer from its database through AI and gives the user a reply within seconds. While the customer service people put users on hold for minutes to give them a solution. Moreover, you wouldn’t require a large customer support team anymore.
- Building a chatbot is a quick process and much affordable, which is another great reason you should add it to your website right away.
- With your chatbot, you can show users more personalized ads by analyzing their online behavior and patterns. Yes, everything is possible with AI!
- You can give your users suggestions, whether they want any travel destination suggestions for booking holiday packages or at times when they need to find out restaurant suggestions. And more of course.
This blog is listed under Development & Implementations Community