In this competitive era, everyone knows the power and scope of mobile apps. Today people have apps for everything, from sending money to ordering food, from watching shows to booking tickets, that too in just a few clicks. But there is another face of this convenience too, what makes people use a particular app for a service among multiple options. What makes an app popular? How an app ranks higher in the search result when anything relevant to that app is being searched. The secret formula behind this success is ASO, app store optimization.
It has been seen that developers work for several years on an app, design it beautifully, and release it to the App Store, but the end result was not up to the mark. Their downloads were low, reviews were inconsistent, and the app gets buried in the crowd. So what happened there? The developers were so busy in releasing and waiting for the success of their app that they didn’t pay attention to the mobile app performance optimization.
After releasing an app, developers need an ASO strategy which helps them to boost the chances of their app success.
Seo For The Mobile Apps
ASO is like the SEO for a mobile application. It includes the complete package which developers can use to promote their apps. It covers two aspects:
- Includes the title, keywords, app screenshots, and app icon
- Includes all peripheral marketing for promoting an app and drive targeted audience
Below mentioned 4 tips that help app developers to make an effective ASO strategy.
1. Know The Targeted Field
At present, app marketplaces are mature enough to work efficiently. To have a proper ASO strategy is not an option anymore but a basic requirement. There are three areas that developers can target for improving their app’s profile. These are:
- Cost-per-Install, CPI campaigns, like Facebook campaigns or Twitter Ads
- Content marketing. For example personal blogs
- Paid media like Facebook promotion
- Earned media like write-ups by the TechCrunch
- Owned media. Developers own personal blogs
There is one thing that developers must keep in mind that while writing an email for the list promoting an app, they should include the first name of their recipient in the subject line.
2. Understanding Platform Differences
When it comes to working in the app stores, there are a few, unavoidable differences between Google Play and iOS for making the app more discoverable. Their fundamentals are same. It is about finding the right keywords without much competition. It means if an app can rank higher in the SEO analysis tools then it will easily get discovered.
Below mentioned the major, real differences between Google Play and Apple Store:
- An app name is restricted to 25 characters only
- Keyword optimization focus has to be on the app description
- Developers can organically repeat the app name 3 to 5 times in the app description
- Need to integrate Google Plus
- While linking to an application listing on the Google Play, need to put keywords in the link
- If using in-app purchase, developers have to make sure while giving the name to the IAP. The name has to be something meaningful and leverages keywords in that area
- Ensure that the app has minimum five good reviews
- Need to make the app title keyword-rich
- Every time developers update their apps, they have to review the keywords
One of the most effective changes developers can make in their app store listing is to give improved form to their keywords. They should modify their app name, app icon, screenshots, and keywords every time they update their apps. It takes some time and patience to keep the app competitive. As developers want to be on the top of this continuously changing market, they should put themselves on the app update schedule if they want to make sure to have continued downloads of their app.
4. Avoid Common Mistakes
There are some common mistakes that developers should avoid while listing their app:
- Putting common words such as ‘app’ or ‘category’ in the app name or keyword
- Including irrelevant keywords or those which is too common without doing proper research
- Putting spaces even after commas in keywords
- Doubling keyword and title words. Developers have to make their title and keywords distinct
Developers must have a proper ASO strategy and focus more on the keywords and app name when they realize their app again. They have to work towards mobile app optimization. If something still seems wrong with the downloads then they should try some other combination.
This blog is listed under E-Commerce Community