Many a times exchange administrators are faced with unable to mount exchange database error. Let's look at primarily whats the cause of this error and how to solve it . If the exchange server was shut down properly, that is a clean shutdown then its possible that moving the checkpoint and log files to a different folder and mounting the database again might fix the problem.
If the database wasn't shutdown properly then it is in 'dirty shutdown' state and there are two options in front of the exchange admin when such a scenario occurs:
1) Restore a backup of exchange database
2)Attempt exchange repair.
If the admin decides to do exchange repair then he/she can try the native Microsoft ESEUTIL but a more easy and intuitive method that i'd recommend is to use a professional exchange recovery tool like EdbMails EDB to PST converter.
The EdbMails exchange recovery tool is a forensic recovery utility with advanced recovery algorithms built in that can retrieve all data out of even the most corrupted exchange databases with ease. EdbMails EDB to PST Converter tool lets you to Recover EDB mailboxes to Outlook PST file of desired sizes, this can be useful for splitting large exchange EDB files into smaller multiple PST files and later restoring them into outlook.
Some features of EdbMails include
• Migration to office 365 and Live exchange server
• Easily converts EDB to PST files & Restore deleted mailboxes directly from EDB file.
• Compatible with all MS Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and latest 2016.
• Compatible with all the windows Operating Systems like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
• Provides recovery of all the attachments including contacts and calendar.