Improving one’s writing skills is something every good and aspiring writer drives towards. One’s writing skills can be improved via information technology, and awareness to this means of improving writing skills is of paramount importance. An improved writing skill produces an improved written report or essay, and this article highlights 5 best ways to improve your writing skills via information technology (I.T).
What is Writing, Writing Skills and Information Technology?
Writing as defined by msu.edu is a form of communication which allows students put their ideas and feelings on paper in order to organize their knowledge as well as their beliefs into convincing arguments and also to convey meaning through a well-constructed text. It involves an expression of one’s thought on paper about a particular topic.
Writing skills are skills needed for a good write up. They include spellings, grammar, vocabulary, and organization of the text, and these writing skills need to be improved to obtain a more advanced writing each time.
Information technology, on the other hand, has been defined by Wikipedia as the use of computers to retrieve, store, manipulate and transmit data or information majorly via the internet. Over the years, the need for information technology has risen drastically, and this has both impacted positively and negatively on human activities. On the positive side, and relating to writing, information technology has made it easy for writers to explore information pertaining writing, as well as to improve their writing skills online. This is due to the fact that the information needed to improve one’s writing skills has been uploaded online, and is easily accessed via the internet.
Characteristics of a good write up
- Clarity and Focus: A good write up should be easy to understand and should focus on the main idea.
- Organization: A good write up should be well organized and presented in a logical and aesthetically pleasing manner.
- Ideas and themes: A good write up should contain clearly identifiable themes and ideas.
- Voice: A good write up should be written in a consistent and identifiable voice.
- Language (word choice): A good write up contains precise and accurate choices of words together with well-crafted sentences.
- Grammar and style: A good write up should follow the rules of grammar and a unique style.
- Credibility or believability: A good write up should be convincing, whether fiction or non-fiction.
- Thought-provoking or emotionally inspiring: A good write-up should drive home the message written in it, whether thought-provoking or emotionally inspiring.
5 ways of improving writing skills via I.T
- Writing services: Professional custom writing services offered online such as CustomWritings.com will help to improve the writing skills of any academic writer. This is due to the fact that after employing the assistance of these service providers to write a particular report, the writer will be able to follow the structure of the paper presented for improvement of his own writing skills. The structure of the paper which will comprise all the characteristics listed above as well as the better report will act as a template to the writer to follow in order to improve his writing skills.
- Courses: Online courses can be taken by prospecting writers who wish to improve their writing skills. This is another means through which I.T can help improve the writing skills of any writer, as the writer is presented with numerous options of online writing tutorials. The writer employs this tutorial session at his/her leisure and is being taught all the features of a good write up, as well as how to prepare a good write up. This will help improve writing skills as the writer is exposed to more than he/she has learned in the past.
- Writing guides: Writing guides such as writing templates and custom papers are being provided online to assist writers in preparing a good write up. This will improve a writer’s writing skill, as errors which were being made in his previous works will be corrected via the guides gotten online, and noted to avoid subsequent mistakes. These guides present a structure for their writing and make it easier to produce a good write up as well as improve his writing skills over time.
- Online feedback: Feedback is an essential factor in order to determine the progress of one’s writing skills. IT offers online feedback to a writer’s piece of work via online readers who are invited from diverse groups with a different educational background to join together in a place and give a response to what the writer has written. This will certainly enhance the writer’s writing skills, like ideas on improvement will also be suggested from individuals across all fields of study all in one place (online).
- Editing and proofreading papers online: Editing and proofreading papers online is done by downloading online papers, and reading through them. This will help improve writing skills, as errors spotted on these online papers will be avoided by the writer when preparing his report. Also, the structure of the paper will be noted by the writer, as well as the use and placement if grammatical expressions and all these will contribute to enhancing the writing skills of the writer who has edited and proofread the online paper.
In conclusion, writing being a process of putting one’s ideas about a particular topic on paper requires various skills which need to be improved. The skills which are known as writing skills include grammar, spelling, punctuation and so on. The improvement of these skills produce a better paper, and with the invention of I.T, improving writing skills has been made easier in various ways listed in this article. Employing these ways listed above will help to improve one’s writing skills to produce an advance written report or essay.