on 20 February 19
Believe it or not, businesses of today generate phenomenal volumes of data and keeping them safe is being perceived as a challenge of sorts. Especially, when it comes to small businesses, their storage and backup strategy hasnât managed to catch up with the all pervasive usage of computing devices. As a result, there is always confusion about the choice of data storage solutions that can help in building a successful storage and backup strategy for these businesses. We take a look at the several storage capabilities available, which can be chosen and combined for creating a rock solid strategy for the data storage and backup needs of your business.
Solutions Available for Data Storage
Some data storage solutions you can consider include:
The best way perhaps is to create a wide assortment of data storage solutions for setting up a bankable strategy for your business.
- Directly Attached Storage Devices: These are devices that are physically and directly connected to your mainframe computer through a USB port. However, what makes it a less suitable option is that it requires batch backups for copying data. This means that updating and synchronizing information in real time may not be possible. There may be backdated versions of same files stored in the device and accessing the most recent one could involve some confusion.
- Storage Devices that Attach to the Network: This is a device that will link itself to the network. It will accept multiple storage drives and support different file protocols. Sometimes, they have the capability of synchronizing data with another such system.
- Storage with Disaster Protection: Storage with disaster protection can be either directly attached or attached to the network. These devices can withstand fire and total immersion into water for a certain period of time without causing any damage to data.
- Online Data Storage Solutions: Here, there are a couple of data storage options available for small businesses to choose from. One is a simple cloud based version of a storage device and another is for backing up data on the cloud. When data is backed up incrementally, cloud storage works fine, especially for businesses that are still struggling to keep profits moving. It also works as a suitable solution since there is no upfront capital investment in setting it up. However, hosting data on shared cloud space may not be a preferable solution for some.
- The Private Cloud Storage Solution: For businesses dealing with sensitive and survival critical data, creating a private cloud for data storage has emerged as a preferred option. This is a dedicated storage server that allows complete privacy and 100% security. However, sourcing a private cloud space for your business could be an expensive proposition. It is advised to keep future needs of the organization in perspective before making a choice. If you are likely to need a private storage solution later on, it is always advisable to get it as early as possible for making the most of long term price advantages.
Share your perspective
Share your achievement or new finding or bring a new tech idea to life. Your IT community is waiting!