Dovecot, Mutt, and Kmail are the email clients used on a Linux operating system and they create Maildir and Maildir++ files. So the user gets into trouble when he migrates from a Linux based email client to a Windows-based email application. Everyone knows that the best email application for Windows is MS Outlook. Therefore in this article, I will discuss the various techniques through which you can easily export a Maildir folder to Outlook.
Manual Methods to Convert Maildir Files to Outlook
Before converting Maildir Files to PST you must take the backup of files into the local machine.
Save Maildir Files on PC
- Connect your PC to the server in which the Maildir files are stored.
- Open Mail Folder to view all the items present in it.
- Now you can view Draft, Sent, Trash, cur, tmp, new, etc in the Maildir File folder.
- Take the backup of all the items of that folder into your PC.
Now you have saved all the Maildir files into your PC. I know it is a technical process but if you follow each and every step carefully then you can export Maildir files to Outlook easily. There are many tools available in the market so you can try any Maildir converter software to convert Maildir Files to PST and then import PST files into Outlook.
Once you have saved and converted Maildir files to PST, you should import it into your Outlook account. It is very easy to import the converted PST files into Outlook. For doing so you need to follow the simple steps which I am going to tell you in this article.
Import Saved PST Files into Outlook
- Launch MS Outlook and login into your Outlook account.
- Click on the File tab on the top-left corner of the page.
- Now, from the dropdown menu choose Open & Export option.
- In the open menu click on Import/Export option.
- Select Import from another program or file option from the list and click on Next to continue.
- Choose the PST file which you have recently converted and click on Next.
- After the completion of the process click on Finish and close the application.
Now you can view all the Maildir files into your Outlook account. If you are thinking that manually you can convert the Maildir file then it is not possible. You have to first convert Maildir files to PST by using a third-party tool and then import that PST into your Outlook account. And finding best tool is a very difficult task but for that user should simply google search like Maildir Tool Online, Online software Maildir conversion, etc. why to go with others word user should search for the tool on there own. Hope this will help out users.
Well, I suppose you know the trick to convert Maildir files to Outlook and I would suggest you to avoid manual techniques for conversion because there are chances of data loss in manual conversion. The manual part in the conversion process is to download Maildir files into PC and import PST files into Outlook. But in between, you have to convert Maildir files to PST by using a third-party tool. I hope my article proved informative to you and you have got your answer.