on 19 December 18
The recent iPhone and iPad update has run into a number of issues in iOS 10 update. Do not panic because there are some easy ways to solve those pesky problems faced in robust iOS applications like poor battery life, spotty Bluetooth connectivity, and iPhones and iPads bricking when trying to update. In this article we will go through the problems and how to solve them.
1. Battery Life – Follow the below steps to increase the uptime of our iPhone and iPad.
i) Turn off background app refresh in Settings > General > Background App Refresh
ii) Turn off Fitness Tracking and non-essential apps tucked away in Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness.
iii) Turn Wi-Fi on and off at the right times
iv) Keep that brightness slider in check. Display brightness is the #1 battery life killer, so stop lighting up your phone every two minutes just to check the time.
v) Keep track which apps are draining your battery life the most. Now every app is tuned to the iOS 10 update and could be wasting precious battery. Head to
vi) Settings > Battery to see the top villains here, especially Twitter and music-streaming apps.
2. iOS 10 Bricking Phones - The beta update went well, but the final launch of iOS 10 has bricked many iPhones and iPads which is disheartening for Apple fans after a solid three-month beta. The solution here is to go to iTunes and restore afflicted Apple devices and always back up your device.
3. iOS 10 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Issues - This problem creeps up every year with many users complaining about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Here's what you need to do to resolve both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth problems in one go: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. It's the third option down, and you'll want to avoid Reset All Settings and Erase All Content and Settings. By selecting Reset Network Settings you'll keep your data intact, but your wireless connects will be back to their default settings. That usually solves our issues.
4. iOS 10 Home Button - iOS 10 has changed the home button functionality with the Touch ID fingerprint sensor. You do not have a dedicated Home Button like previous iPhones. Here's a quick fix - Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button (midway down the page) and turn on 'Rest Finger to Open'. This will enable you to open your iPhone or iPad with Touch ID, without having to press the home button any more.
5. Phone stops vibrating after iOS 10 Update - To fix this, first try restarting the iPhone by pressing and holding the sleep button and the Home button for around 10 seconds. If it does not work then you may need to factory reset your iPhone. Please make sure to back up all your files and settings, as performing a reset will erase all your data from the device.
6. Touch ID stops working - If Touch ID has stopped working and you can't configure it after upgrading to iOS 10, then try the following: Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and enter your passcode. Turn off iTunes & App Store, then reboot your device. Go back to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and turn on iTunes & App Store. You will need to remove and then rescan your fingerprints. To do this, go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and scroll down to the list of fingerprints. Tap on the fingerprint you want to delete, then select 'Delete' and restart your device. Once your iPhone or iPad restarts, go back into settings and add your fingerprint. Touch ID should now work.
7. Your Phone loses cellular network and can't reconnect - Here's how to fix it - Restart your iPhone and you'll be reconnected to the network. While this is a temporary solution, it's not perfect, as if you lose signal again you won't be able to reconnect until you restart. You can also turn on Airplane mode, then turn it off again to reconnect. Some mobile networks are also suggesting that you reinstall iOS 10, but this time update it by plugging it into your PC or Mac and using iTunes.
Have you experienced any errors, glitches or issues that we haven't addressed? Feel free to leave them in the comments, and we'll supplement it to our list.
This blog is listed under Operating Systems Community
Share your perspective
Share your achievement or new finding or bring a new tech idea to life. Your IT community is waiting!