MS Outlook stores two types of data files PST and OST. Where OST file keeps a user mailbox data of Exchange server. When sync Exchange server with Outlook, an OST is generated. Whereas, PST is the conversion format, which stores Outlook data.
Size implementation on MS Outlook version for save OST/PST file
- MS Outlook 2002: 2GB
- MS Outlook 2003& 2007: 20GB
- MS Outlook 2012 & other: 50GB
Default location of OST file:
By Default OST file save on the user profile : C:\user\Appdata\local\Microsoft\OutlookYou can also see the file location here: Open MS Outlook>file tab>Account setting>data files>location Area
How to open old OST file in Outlook 2016 or other versions?
This question asked many time by the Outlook users. But the answer is shocking because OST cannot directly import in any versions of Outlook including Outlook 2016. If you want to copy your offline data to another computer, then configure the email to your server and convert your content to the PST format.We can use some method for converting OST to PST.
First method helps you. when you connected to Exchange server with same Profile.
- Start MS Outlook
- Click on file tab
- Click on Import and Export
- Choose Export to a file then next
- Choose personal folder (.pst) then click next
- Choose your desired folder and mark on Include subfolder then next.
- Browse to save your exported destination and click on finish.
- After finishing, if you want to add password then fill it or OK on this popup.
- Now, you can find a PST file on the selected location.
- Check your destination.
Method 2: This method help to retrieve your emails but not possible your contacts. It will also work when you are connected to the Exchange Server with the same profile.
- Start Microsoft Outlook
- Go to File and then Archive
- A window appears, choose the file or folder to archive it
- Browse your desired location to store the archived PST
- Click on OK,
- The process of archiving will start
Best alternative solution to convert an old OST to PST format!
Old OST file is created on your co-worker profile and you want to switch on your machine.
You re-create OR modify your profile.
OST is corrupted
Exchange server crash
Network issueIn all above situations, You have the only one-way to get back your data is converting old ost to pst with third-party software. There are many converters available but MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter will be the best tool. As I tried it for my own OST files with 100 % success results.