Those users who want to know about free methods to convert OST to PST. Then this is the right place for you. Here you will be provided all the required information regarding your concern. Here this blog consists of various sections- about OST and PST files, reasons for conversion, manual ways and at last free direct methods.
Let us begin with the first section of this blog
Take a look on OST and PST Files
In Microsoft Outlook, an offline file folder is an OST file that makes it possible for users to work offline. Also, it has the ability that when users connect next time then change can be synchronized with the exchange server.
In Microsoft Outlook, an open proprietary file format is the PST file that stores copies of messages, calendar events, and other items. These copies can be stored within Microsoft software like Microsoft Exchange client, Windows messaging and Microsoft Outlook.
Why We need to perform OST to PST conversion?
Here are some cases where OST file to PST file conversion will become helpful as given below-
- When the server deleted a few Exchange mailboxes.
- Whenever a need to back up a few mailboxes from Exchange.
- An Exchange user wants to rebuild their OST file, but in the OST file, the user has some data that is not available.
- Due to loss of Exchange, Network crash, etc., EDB files are unavailable.
So these all are the cases where we need to make the conversion from OST file to PST so that these cases can be resolved. Now, let us begin to understand the free manual ways for this migration process.
How to Convert OST to PST in Outlook 2016 with Two Free Ways?
There are two free methods to Convert OST to PST given below. Follow these methods:
Notice: These methods can be executed by connecting to Microsoft Exchange Server.
Free Method 1: Export Mailbox Data as a PST
Log in to the Exchange account used to build Outlook OST files. And the easy way is to export the OST mailboxes to PSTas given below:
- Initially, navigate to the File tab and go to >> Open&Export and then press click on the Import&Export option.
- Then hit Export to a file option and click on Next.
- Next, go to the Outlook Data File (.pst) option then hit Next.
- Choose folder to export to PST and hit Next.
- Browse for the path to save the exported file(PST) and select Do not export duplicate items option for duplicate items.
This will save you OST file data into PST format.
Free Method 2: Using Archiving method
Outlook emails are saved from the OST file in a separate PST file thus allowing archiving. In fact, it helps to keep the mailbox size at an optimal level by storing the older mailbox items in the archive folder. Follow the simple steps to generate a mailbox file and save it to the desired location:
- Start the Outlook application first.
- Visit File tab >>Options.
- Go to Advanced >>Auto Archive Settings option.
- Choose the number of days to auto-archive. Select the folder and finally click OK to save the archive file.
- Your OST file will be saved in the PST file format as per archiving.
Your OST file will be archived as a PST file. But these PST files will be imported to Outlook Database next. Some steps are given below:
Steps to import newly created PST file into Outlook Database
- Launch Microsoft Outlook first.
- Choose a new Outlook Data File (.pst) that is created by the above methods.
- At last, drag the newly created PST mailbox folder to Outlook.
So these all are free ways to convert OST to PST. But these methods have some limitations. Some mail data can be lost during the conversion process. There may be chances for duplicate content. Also, it is a time-consuming process that results in some errors in the output.
Therefore, to avoid these complications you can try free online available OST to PST Converter utility that provide you free demo version. So, that you can have an idea about the utility. You can find the tool on google where you only have to search the best ost to pst converter. And you will see the different utility. These tools will help in migrating OST files to PST quickly without losing any data. You can pick any one.
We have mentioned about OST and PST file first, then we have discussed reasons for conversion. After that, we provided two free methods to convert OST to PST that can be performed manually or you can try direct methods as explained above.