on 06 December 19
Recently, my company decided to change the desktop platform from Lotus Notes to Outlook. I need to maintain all the old emails in Outlook as it. Is there any possible method for converting the NSF file to Outlook PST? I need it urgently since I don’t have much time.
From the above scenario, it is clear that user need to shift the platform from Lotus Notes to Outlook PST. This is the recent struggle that users face nowadays. Many are transferring their platform from IBM Notes to Outlook. Why is it so? What makes Outlook so attracted platform? Let us have a small discussion about it.
Lotus Notes desktop email client by IBM is facing strategic decrease in the number of users. Though IBM Notes are highly powerful and provides tight security, they are so expensive and complex to use. This makes most of the business organizations to shift to Outlook, a simple and affordable client by Microsoft. Outlook also holds emails, contacts, calendars etc. as that of Lotus Notes. But, the noted difference is with the file format supported by these platforms. Lotus Notes supports NSF file and Outlook goes with PST file format; both entirely different.
At times, users faces problem with the emails stored in Lotus Notes. After the shift to Outlook, if users need to get the emails in Outlook then, it puts you in trouble. Since the file format are not compatible with each other user will have to convert the NSF emails to PST.
How can the emails imported to Outlook from Lotus Notes?This blog will help you with the procedure to import NSF emails into Outlook PST. It proceeds with two steps; export and import.
Exporting NSF Emails
Follow the steps:
1. Start Lotus Notes application and choose the emails that need to be exported.
2. Select Export option from ‘File’ menu. An Export dialog box appears.
3. Name the file and save it using Structured Text type in desired location.
4. Proceed with Export button.
5. Fill the dialog box appeared.
6. Click on Ok button. All the selected mails will get exported to the mentioned location.
After exporting, you will have to convert the obtained file to CSV format or Tab Separated Value format since Outlook doesn’t support Structured Text format.
Import NSF Emails Into Outlook1. Run Outlook.
2. From the File menu choose Open.
3. In Open, you will see the Import option. Go for the option.
4. You will get Import and Export Wizard. Select Import from another program or file and proceed.
5. Choose the file type, either Comma Separated Values (Windows) or Tab Separated Values (Windows) to which you have converted the exported Lotus Notes emails.
6. Browse the file to import and complete the Option list.
7. Proceed until the importing is done.
After proceeding with these steps, you will get to open Lotus Notes emails in Outlook. However, you may find some of the emails missing and the process so lengthy. To overcome this difficulty, you can use Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration tool, a third party solution. With the tool, user can export IBM Notes NSF emails to Outlook PST without any change to its Meta data. Whoever needs to import Lotus Notes emails into Outlook can rely onto this tool without a second thought. Hope this blog might have added some information to solve your query.
Share your perspective
Share your achievement or new finding or bring a new tech idea to life. Your IT community is waiting!